Gono Bishawbidyalay (GB) a University with a difference has been established with a vision to create a new consciousness and commitment in the field of education, particularly to foster social development and human welfare.
Gonoshathaya Kendra (G.K), an internationally known NGO, dream after the liberation of Bangladesh to establish a community – based Medical College which finally took the shape of a well- conceived university in 1998. A concept paper was prepared by 24 members of the working group and eventually a Trustee Board (at present of 18 members) was formed to formulate policies and to guide the activities.
All inmates are advised to dress modestly without much use of cosmetics. Smoking is absolute prohibited within and outside the campus. Besides classical pedagogy, i.e. class room, teaching and laboratory work, the University puts great emphasis on the participatory methodology for groups in teaching system. It is imperative for the students, teachers and staff of the University to be friendly with the poor local villagers and work them as their associates and, if possible, share their experiences. Students sand teachers are expected to volunteer in natural disasters and management activities. The University expects that the students will live within the local community; exchange views on various aspects of life with the local villagers and enlighten them with their achieved knowledge. In order to ensure that the students turn out to be self – reliant and confident about their potentiality. No university transport
A very special mission of Gono Bishwabidyalay is to help the female members of the society, students from low income families, children of martyrs and ethnic minorities
Through teaching and related activities Gono Bishwabidyalay aims at achieving the following:
- To bring cohesion between scientific ideas and people’s aspiration as well as to ensure equal opportunity for men and women.
- To foster consciousness about scientific queries and welfare of mankind.
- In building a bridge between modern science and experience of traditional socio-economic concepts
- Generating the feeling for the backward population and wish for their welfare, active participation in programme to eradicate poverty
- To work toward sustaining and modernizing indigenous art and crafts
- To work for effective solutions for the problems of the people by applying local experiences
- To learn lessons from the struggles of the people for establishing their rights as well as from the history of the wars of liberation of Bangladesh and other countries of the world
- To learn in depth about the country, the people, the village life, and to take steps for improvement of the country and of its people